WHO WE ARE
Everton is a pioneering and globally-recognised football club with a rich, successful history and an exciting future.
Founded in 1878, Everton is one of the 12 Founder Members of the Football League. The Club has been crowned league champions on nine occasions, lifted the FA Cup five times and tasted European success by winning the European Cup Winners Cup in 1985.
Everton’s proud traditions are maintained by clear values and ambitious plans for the future.
The development of a new state-of-the-art 52,888 capacity stadium on the banks of the River Mersey at Bramley-Moore Dock is well underway, providing a significant platform for further growth.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
For decades, our Academy has been one of the most respected and renowned in football. Its vision to develop young players who are technically and tactically capable of playing for Everton or having a career in the professional game remains as focused as ever.
We now have a unique and extremely exciting opportunity for a dynamic, strategic leader to join us as Academy Director.
Working closely with our Director of Football and first-team manager, our Academy Director will lead and develop the club’s football philosophy and Academy Performance Plan, taking overall responsibility of the management and direction for coaching, recruitment, medical, education & welfare, sports science and operational Academy departments. Each department has a senior manager in post to manage and deliver the day-to-day operations.
The Academy Director will play a fundamental part in the future strategic direction of the Academy, be an active member of the Technical Board and provide exceptional leadership and guidance across the Everton Academy.
1. Strategic Leadership
- Guiding the development of the club’s Football Philosophy.
- Liaising with the club’s manager as appropriate.
- Leading the Academy Management Team, providing support and guidance to the where required.
- To represent the Academy when dealing with external agencies, including the FA, the Premier League and any other agencies or delegate as necessary
- To ensure the CEO, Director of Football, first-team manager and Academy Management Team are fully briefed on all operations issues and achievements.
- To be an active member of the club’s Technical Board, providing technical advice and support in the development of the club’s Football Philosophy and in the development, implementation and monitoring of the Academy Performance Plan.
- Provide leadership and input for all strategic planning processes with the Academy Management Team.
- Advising club Board on Academy performance against targets set out in the Academy Performance Plan, and any action required.
- To have overall responsibility for the ISO Audit ensuring that all information if prepared and submitted appropriately.
2. Coaching and Coach Development
- To oversee the effective design, implementation and management of the Academy’s coaching programme.
- To work closely with the Head of Academy Coaching to oversee and deliver the Academy Coaching Programmes.
- To ensure a clear pathway is in place in order to produce players capable of making the transition to first-team football, primarily at Everton.
3. Managing People and Developing Strong Working Relationships
- To provide inspirational leadership and guidance to direct reports, team members, casual workers and volunteers.
- Ensure all team members are fully informed of Club wide and Academy specific operational objectives.
- Set operational and/or performance goals for the team which are clearly linked to the long term goals of the Academy and the club and encourage development of the existing operation.
- Monitor department performance against performance goals to ensure that progress is being made.
- Attend weekly departmental meetings and actively participate in other meetings (internal and external) as and when required.
- Conduct regular meetings with Team members to ensure that priorities are clear and coordination is good.
- Complete Performance Reviews for all direct reports as and when required, oversee development for all team members, identify areas for development and work closely with team members to ensure necessary performance standards are met.
4. Financial Management and Reporting
- To have ultimate responsibility for the financial management of the Academy, including compliance with club financial systems, budgeting, management accounting, cost management, and invoicing arrangements.
- To ensure the Academy performance against budget is managed throughout the season, reviewing on a monthly basis.
- To report on performance against budget as and when required, and to maintain full knowledge of the financial performance of the Academy.
- Monitor potential safeguarding children risks and work with the Academy Safeguarding Officer, and the Head of Safeguarding for Everton Football Club to promote safer working practice throughout the Academy.
- Understand the Academy Safeguarding policy, procedures and best practice guidelines. Use this understanding to ensure safer recruitment, safe working practices, appropriate reporting of concerns and contribute positively to an anti-bullying environment./li>
- Provide on-going feedback to relevant medical, coaching, sports science, recruitment and management staff.
- Inform coaching staff of any changes in the training programme which would be in the interest of students’ welfare.
- Provide on-going feedback to players and their parent/guardians as required.
7. Other Responsibilities
- Responsible for maintaining qualifications pertinent to the role.
- To be aware of EPPP rules and requirements for your area.
- To be aware of current trends and best practice in Youth Development.
- To attend at least 5 hours of in-service training organised by the FA each year and the first aid training at least once every 3 years if required.
- To undertake Continued Professional Development organised by the Club.
- Managing and controlling resources and the forecasting of short/medium term activity and capacity to ensure that delivery meets agreed service levels, performance standards and profitability.
- Work with other departments and proactively recommend resolutions, which overcome operational challenges and exceed requirements.
- Maintain knowledge on the Academy activities and services to provide best possible support and leadership.
- Advise the CEO and Director of Football of any circumstances likely to cause delay, failure or loss of delivery on quality, service, income as soon as detected.
- To take responsibility for personal performance and the development of personal skills to ensure the required skills, knowledge and competence to fulfil the role.
- To encourage and promote the values of the Everton Family and to comply with the required standards of conduct and so promote the Club within the community by acting with integrity and honesty.
- To promote, adhere to and implement the Everton Family Equality and Diversity Policy and to work consistently to embed equality and diversity.
- Ensure that all work is completed in a priority basis, and work meets a high degree of professionalism, quality and craftsmanship.
- To attend staff meetings as required.
- To attend training courses and external seminars and meetings as appropriate/ required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be a team player and work within the team.
- Possess excellent collaboration skills.
- Be able to integrate their opinion into team decision.
- Be able to firm and maintain constructive and productive working relationship with all staff and players.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- An ability to adapt quickly, be flexible in the face of change and solution orientated.
- Extensive skill and experience with a variety of coaching and pedagogical techniques to maximize learning across the physical, tactical, technical, and mental aspects of player development.
- Excellent leadership and personnel management skills.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Proficiency using computers and office productivity software.
- Understanding of and interest in applying measurement and analysis techniques to improve the assessment of player development and progress against performance standards.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience of working in an elite youth development sports environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the EPPP rules and regulations.
- Understanding of and ability to apply sport and coaching science principles to maximize player development.
- Knowledge and understanding of working with children and safeguarding procedures relevant to position.
- Significant experience within a senior leadership role with personnel management experience.
- Maintain an open-minded approach.
- Have on going involvement and leadership in continued professional development.
- Committed passion for elite sport and youth development.
- A discreet, professional and confidential approach.
- Curious, interested, enthusiastic and motivational.
- Proactive and motivated to improving self and others
- Resourceful and solution-oriented
- Have developed an extensive network of professional colleagues to provide support and mentorship to self and staff.
- Understands, reflects and role models the Club Values and behaviours.
- Uefa A License.
- FA Youth Award.
- FA Advanced Youth Award.
- Emergency First Aid in Football.
- Uefa Pro Licence.
HOW TO APPLY
At Everton Football Club we are ambitious, determined and authentic. If you feel you have the experience and the expertise we are looking for, we would love to hear from you!
We are genuinely excited to find our next Academy Director. If you feel as excited as we do and share our vision and values, please complete your application by sending your CV and a cover letter to [email protected]
If you would like to find out more about us and this opportunity then please contact Lucy Burgess, our Talent Acquisition People Partner.
The Everton Family is committed to equal opportunities and is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader. We provide a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process. We accept all job applications in a variety of formats and should you need any documents in a different format or require any further support or assistance then please contact [email protected]