Our session on innovation with Dr Mark Batey
We were joined by Dr Mark Batey of Manchester Metropolitan University to discuss innovation and change, as part of his session: The Sporting Directors’ Creativity and Innovation Toolkit. This is part of theme: Leading High Performing Teams.
Mark leads the Masters in Sport Directorship at MMU and you can reach him here: [email protected]
Mark discussed a number of areas, including:
- Chain reactions
- Strength in diversity
- Strength = weakness too
- Follow the Creative Problem Solving Process (see below)
The recording from the session is included below, but much of the discussion is removed and the break-out content is private to those in the room.
Dr Mark Batey on creativity and innovation from ASD on Vimeo.
Aside from this below is some other sessions you may find interesting from Mark:
- My 5 key principles for Creativity and Innovation (18mins):
- Creativity and Agility in HR (1hr 18mins): watch here:
Other items of interest:
- Fantastic podcast with Les Reed, including creativity and innovation! (Part 1, 37mins): Listen here.
- Leaders in Sport, Performance Special on Psychological Safety (long read): download here.
- Toto Wolff: Empathy over engineering (Team Principal & CEO of the Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team) (1hr 10mins): Listen here.
Other resources that may be of interest:
- Book: Think like a freak, by Steven D. Levitt, with Stephen J. Dubner
- Book recommendation by Victor Orta: On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King.
- And for those in the session, some poetry:
I Keep Six Honest Serving Men
I KEEP six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.
I send them over land and sea,
I send them east and west;
But after they have worked for me,
I give them all a rest.
I let them rest from nine till five,
For I am busy then,
As well as breakfast, lunch, and tea,
For they are hungry men.
But different folk have different views;
I know a person small—
She keeps ten million serving-men,
Who get no rest at all!
She sends’em abroad on her own affairs,
From the second she opens her eyes—
One million Hows, two million Wheres,
And seven million Whys!
By Rudyard Kipling
Source: Rudyard Kipling, Just So Stories (1902)
Join our ASD community
Our membership offer, is in line with our core objectives and management model, as such there is no charge for membership for the 2020/2021 season.Membership Enquiry